Social Icons

twitterfacebookgoogle pluslinkedinrss feedemail

Thursday, May 14, 2015

PNP: Crime in Metro down by 60% since implementation of Oplan Lambat-Sibat

PNP: Crime in Metro down by 60% since implementation of Oplan Lambat-Sibat

Crime incidents in Metro Manila went down by 60 percent since the implementation of the “Oplan Lambat-Sibat” in June last year, the Philippine National Police said on Thursday.

From 919 average incidents in a week, the PNP Directorate for Investigative and Detective Management recorded more than 60 percent decrease in crime trend or a total of 345 crime incidents in Metro Manila from May 4 to May 10.

The anticrime campaign, which utilizes specific police deployment in crime-prone areas, is the brainchild of Interior Secretary Mar Roxas.

“These types of crime are selected because these are the common crimes that affect peace and order in Metro Manila and they reflect the overall picture of criminal activities in NCR,” Senior Supt. Bartolome Tobias, PNP spokesperson, said in a statement on Thursday.

Meanwhile, PNP acting director for intelligence Chief Supt. Generoso Cerbo, former spokesperson, said the police had arrested 60 percent of all the most wanted persons in Metro Manila.

“Out of 603 wanted persons we captured 356 MWPs for the past 38 weeks. This means that for every 10 wanted persons, 6 of them are arrested by our competent police operatives,” Cerbo said.

Among the five police districts in the region, he said the Northern Police District has captured the most number of MWPs since Lambat-Sibat’s implementation, which is 71 percent or 52 out of 73 MWPs in their area.


Veloso’s Indonesian lawyers set meeting with PNP


Philippine national Mary Jane Fiesta Veloso, left, who is on death row for drug offences, accompanied by an unidentified interpreter, attends her judicial review hearing at Sleman District Court in Yogyakarta, Indonesia, Wednesday, March 4, 2015. Two convicted Australian smugglers arrived Wednesday at an Indonesian island prison where they will be executed by firing squad along with seven other foreigners, including Veloso, amid a diplomatic squabble with some of their governments. An Indonesian is also scheduled to be executed. AP/Slamet Riyadi

MANILA, Philippines – The Indonesian legal counsel of charged Mary Jane Veloso will meet with the Philippine National Police for the reopening of their client’s case.

According to Lawyer Rubyantho, team leader of the Indonesian lawyers of Veloso, they went to Manila to gather further information on how Veloso was victimized by a drug syndicate from Malaysia in going to Indonesia in 2010.

Rubyantho expressed their optimism regarding Veloso’s case and remain positive in saving her from the death row.

Veloso’s Indonesian lawyers also came to determine the true story of what transpired when Maria Kristina Sergio recruited Veloso to work in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia and how she ended up in Indonesia carrying 2.6 kilograms of heroin, which made the Indonesian government convict her for drug trafficking.

Rubyantho said they are in the Philippines to get everything they can use to help Veloso.

Veloso  was supposed to be executed by firing squad for drug smuggling in Indonesia last April 29. 

However, her execution was postponed and she was granted a temporary reprieve after her alleged recruiters, Sergio and Julius Lacanilao surrendered before the authorities.

Headlines ( Article MRec ), pagematch: 1, sectionmatch: 1
The Indonesian legal counsel met with the members of the Department of Justice-National Bureau of Investigation Task Force handling the evidence gathering of Veloso’s case on Tuesday to discuss about cases filed against Sergio and Lacanilao.